I've set up an Eclipse update site for EchoStudio3 and have uploaded a prerelease version of beta2.
PLEASE USE THIS RELEASE FOR TESTING ONLY. IF YOU MUST USE IT ON AN EXISTING PROJECT, PLEASE ENSURE EVERYTHING IS FULLY BACKED UP. Beta2 should be along next week.
The Eclipse update site is located at http://download.nextapp.com/echostudio/ Go to Help->Install Software in Eclipse to add the site.
If you want to play around with / help test this version of EchoStudio, try creating a new Eclipse workspace and installing it there. Make certain you fully uninstall any previous versions of EchoStudio before installing this version.
What's new in this version? Pretty much everything. 733 commits worth of everything, anyway. The style editor has a completely new UI. The form editor is no longer attached to a Java editor, and has major UI updates as well. There's a prettier default application theme, with built-in Tango icons. Both form and style editors now have undo and redo. Most properties can now be (quickly) edited directly in the property table (if desired). Annoying things like Echo3Extras_DT.jar are no longer in your projects. Additionally there have been literally dozens of tweaks to improve "developer efficiency" within the product, e.g., ensuring the last selected image folder is selected when an image chooser is displayed.
A complete feature list will be compiled/published for the beta2 release.
The Echo project structure has changed a bit. For the moment I'd recommend only using it to create new projects, until I have time to post good instructions for updating. (The gist of it: re-add Echo/Extras/etc using the "Add Echo Libraries to Project" feature, and remove any "DT.jar" files. Ensure a copy of servlet.jar is in the project's classpath as well).
A few notable issues:
- To open a form, open the .form file. Opening the corresponding .java file will now open a Java editor.
- If you update an old Echo (pre EchoStudio beta2) project to work with the new version or update Echo JARs, you may need to exit and restart Eclipse when you're done before you start working on it. This will be fixed shortly.
- Echo2->Echo3 project migration has NOT been tested and thus will almost certainly not work.
- Make sure you use the new "Default" template for new projects. It's the only one so far with the updated theme.
- PLEASE report all bugs you find. Feel free to post quick reports/observations directly in this thread.
- There is no license key in the download, please use the license key here:
(Don't worry about the impending expiration, new keys will be posted before expiration)